How many decorating and shopping days have you got?
Welcome to the Christmas countdown! You can check with us to see exactly how much time you have left until the big day from anywhere in the world. There's lots of work to be done before then! You only have until December 24 to put up your tree, the Christmas decorations, stuff the Christmas stockings and get your shopping done. How do you plan on using your pre-holiday time? Read our tips to surviving the Christmas countdown.
Avoid Shopping Mall Madness
Whether you start preparing for Christmas early or are a last minute shopper the mall is always a dodgy place to be around the holidays. The rush typically starts the very first day after Thanksgiving and gets more hectic as Christmas Eve approaches. Here are some ways to avoid spending the time you have left until Christmas struggling through the mall:
- Shop online or by catalogue
- Hire a personal shopper
- Give cash or gift certificates
- Make your gifts
- Offer a non traditional gift such as a dinner party
Stay Stress Free
If you're forced out into the world of Christmas shoppers there are a number of ways you can make the experience less stressful. The key to a successful shopping trip is to go prepared and stay calm. Don't be one of those frantic shoppers plowing through the mall pushing people aside and grabbing anything they can get – take the time to enjoy Christmas shopping as part of the season. Take a deep breath and dive in!
- Shop early
- Go prepared – make a list so that you know exactly what you are going for and can avoid browsing
- Make your list smaller – you don't have to buy for everyone and you don't need to buy several gifts for each person
- Shop in the middle of the day and during the week
- Shop at a mall so that you can get all your gifts in one place
- Stop for lunch or a quick snack
- Buy the heaviest gifts last so that you don't have to carry them around
- Park as far away from the shopping center as you can – it's worth the walk to avoid the fight for space and damage to your car
- Shop for Christmas cards and decorations after the holidays so that you are prepared for next year