DIY Christmas Candles
Make Your Own Christmas Candles
Do-it-yourself Christmas candles can make a great addition to your holiday décor, or they can be used as gifts and party favors. The mood created by a candle is flexible because they can come in so many different types and shapes and the light can be adjusted by innumerable varieties of candle holders. Making your own candles and candle holders can be a fun and easy way to celebrate the holidays.
Do-it-yourself beeswax candles can be a cheap and fun way to decorate your home. They take little time and can be made in a variety of shapes and colors. This is also a great activity that you can share with your kids.
- Beeswax sheets
- Primed wick
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
1. Roll out the beeswax sheets.
2. Cut the primed wick into pieces approximately two inches longer than the width of your beeswax.
3. Place the wick along the edge of the sheet and fold the sheet about 1/8 of an inch over the wick. Press down on the sheet to make sure the wax completely surrounds the wick.
4. When you are sure the wick is secure, start rolling the sheet. Roll slowly and carefully and make sure to keep the sheet straight.
5. When you reach the end of the sheet press down firmly to bind the candle together.
6. Trim the wick to about ½ an inch and remove any exposed wick from the bottom of the candle.
Potpourri Candle Holder
A potpourri candle holder is a great way to add fragrance to your holiday decorations. This do-it-yourself candle holder can be done simply with a stencil or customized with free hand painting. You will end up with a festive conversation piece.
- Stencil sponges
- Holly stencil
- Glass paint: red, gold, green, white
- Glass clear aquatic vase
- Glass clear trumpet ball candleholder
- 3-inch round candle
- Paint palette
- 1 bag of holiday scented potpourri
- Sponge, compressed
- Water container
1. Clean and dry vase before painting.
2. Use stencil sponge to apply a coat of green paint to neck of vase.
3. Use wide end of stencil sponge and apply a square of white paint along top rim of vase. 4. Leave an unpainted square space and then apply another white square in a pattern around the entire rim.
5. Repeat step 2 using red paint and fill in unpainted squares.
6. Use green paint and holly stencil to apply holly 1 inch below neck of vase. Apply holly around the entire vase.
7. Use red paint to apply 3 red dots as holly berries.
8. When paint is dry, fill the vase with the holiday potpourri.
9. Place the candleholder in the vase.
10. Place the candle in the candleholder.
Gingerbread Men Candle Holders
Gingerbread men candle holders are a fun and creative way to personalize your candles. The gingerbread men make the candles whimsical with the holiday spirit. While the do-it-yourself process may look complicated it is actually quite quick and easy. Children need to be monitored when hot glue is involved but gingerbread men candle holders make a fun family activity.
- Paint: red, white, honey-brown, pink, black, blue, green
- 2 x 1.5 inch craft wood blocks
- 2 craft wood gingerbread men
- 2 craft candle cups (7/8-inch Hole)
- Hot glue
- Hot glue gun
- Black fine tip marker
1. Paint the blocks blue.
2. Paint the candle cups green.
3. Paint the gingerbread men honey-brown.
4. When the gingerbread men are dry, paint arms and leg cuffs white.
5. Paint the eyes and buttons black.
6. Paint the mouth red.
7. Paint the cheeks pink.
8. Glue the candle cups to the top of the blocks.
9. Glue the gingerbread boys at an angle to the back of the blocks (so they look like they're peeking around the candles).
10. Insert candles into the candle cups.